Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Not another wretched sock...




...I can't help it. This is the June offering from the Yarn Yard sock club. I love this sock club as not only are the yarn colours beautiful, they are one offs and not sold later on in the shop and they also come with a toning solid so the opportunities for being creative with them are huge. It is really through the inspiration of the yarn from this club that I have started designing my own socks and have been thoroughly enjoying the challenge.
This is my latest piece of work. The yarn colours reminded me of a memorable holiday walking the Cornish Coast Path. The most striking thing for me was that the sea could be the most heartbreakingly beautiful periwinkle blue but if you looked down it was still boiling and swirling around jagged and dangerous rocks. I love this juxtaposition.
I was looking for a pattern that evoked this feeling and was also after something a little more open and lacy for a summer sock. I consulted my embarrassingly large collection of stitch dictionaries and came up with Fishtail Lace from Jan Eaton's book '200 Ripple Stitch Patterns' which seemed to fit the bill. It was a very quick and easy knit, memorable enough for me to use as my travel knitting project this week. I had to do a few adjustments to get the pattern to work for a sock but that was a good learning experience.
Now that the first sock is done I am pleased with how it has turned out but rather than the wildness of the Cornish rocks it looks more to me like nice orderly rows of scallop shells which is at least carrying through the coastal theme.
If I can express in intelligible language the little adjustments that I made I am planning to write up this pattern and link it here for people to try. Who'd have thought it?

5 comments:

natalie said...

You are right, it looks just like scallop shells.... not like chocolate cake at all!
Another lovely pattern. You really should consider selling these patterns.

Maggie said...

Wow, those socks are absolutely gorgeous. The colour just sings.

Best wishes from sunny Liverpool

Adrienne said...

It looks great!!!!

Iris G said...

So lovely--the pattern and the yarn really work together to tell the story!

kathryn said...

Your sock looks lovely!

And after deliberating since early morning, I took your mention of Jan Eaton's book as the signal to buy.