Friday, 22 June 2007

Moving on up

Today I entrusted the colour work project to the care of my local postmaster who assured me that it would soon be in the hands of the person who commissioned it. Curiously, I felt quite emotional as I handed over my yarn babies. Mind you, I know they are going to a good home. I am also aware that they are quite important to both of us. This is the first time I have ever taken my knitting into the wider world in this way but I know that for the recipient they, and a whole lot of other things represent part of a much larger and more exciting fibre adventure. They are sent with my very best wishes for success.






Mind you, the completion of this project means that I can turn my attention to other gorgeous fibry activities. This is some very pretty pencil roving that Natalie kindly sent me to play with. I have never used pencil roving before so at first I was having real difficulty in drafting as I was struggling with shaking out the slight twist. The little mantra that someone shared with me about drafting 'Hold the fibre like a baby bird' came back to me as I swung on the roving like a blackbird trying to remove a worm from the lawn. A rethink was required so I decided to break the roving into metre long sections and split it down the middle, a process if done slowly and carefully seemed to twiddle the twist out of the roving making it way easier to draft.


The wool feels like more of a shetland than a merino as it is a bit hairier and stickier and I love the way it is spinning up. By dividing the roving lengthwise I will be getting shorter colour changes which I rather like. I also have a plan for what I want to make with it when I have finished spinning.



With all the spinning I am doing it crossed my mind that it was no good making all these skeins if I was just going to keep them as pets - yarn is there to be used. So, I have wound my first skein of Wild Thing into a ball and have cast on a pair of socks (surprise....). There will be photos when there is something to see. Watching the first few rows falling from my needles and feeling yarn that I spun myself running though my fingers was a really magical moment. I got to thinking that even if I never get to be an expert spinner, the whole process of learning to spin has given me a whole new perspective on yarn and how it is constructed - I have begun to look much further beyond its superficial appearance. I really believe that learning to spin is starting to make me a more thoughtful knitter. When I started this blog I said that I wanted to record the journey that I am making in my craft. Today I really feel I have reached a couple of small milestones in the way that I think about my work and it is a lovely feeling - I am looking forward to wherever the journey leads me next.

2 comments:

natalie said...

I think it's just "wool". I ordered merino, because I just couldn't wait... fibre turns me into some kind of demon... but the bag says just "wool", so "wool" it is.
I think you may be right that it's a bit stickier, and dividing it and breaking off the sections is a good way of dealing with it.
The merino I now have (all twenty kilo's of it), is much softer and a fabulously dreamy spin. Three dyed up kilos (15 one off colourways) are adorning the kitchen table as I type, and I can hardly bear to put it back in the box.
The roving looks good on the bobbin... much finer than I managed with it.
After Woolfest (AW), I Will Spin More Often.

Maggie said...

That spool looks lovely - will make lovely socks for the man in your life? And the Wild Thing looks positively yum!

Thanks for dropping by, and thank you very much for your kind offer of sock needles. I've ordered some 2.25 bamboos from Get Knitted. The thing is I KNOW I have loads of sock needles. I can even see the bag they are in with my minds eye (it's black felt with different coloured polka dots embroidered on it and it has a gold sort of brocadey lining) but so far I can't find the safe place I put it in! Will have to search a few more boxes later.

Best wishes from suddenly sunny Liverpool