Monday, 4 June 2007

Glowing with pride



I have to say that I am quite extraordinarily proud of this yarn. I can't quite believe that it was me who made it! It is only a small portion of the Wild Thing roving that I have been spinning. I thought that I would ply it to see how close I had got to the standard of the Sock Hop yarn. My first attempt at plying wasn't a huge success - it looked loose and fuzzy so I put it back through, adjusting the brake to get much more spin into the plying. It wasn't looking bad... I then skeined it up and to my horror it all curled back on itself, looking far from the smooth skein I was hoping for. I hot footed it to the bathroom to set the twist, weighted it with a heavy wooden coat hanger and crossed my fingers. I couldn't believe my luck when in the morning it emerged all straight and beautiful. It really isn't much different to the Sock Hop yarn itself. I am spinning up the rest of the roving so that I might just be making my first socks spun by my very own hand very soon. I am quite giddy!


At the same time it seemed a sensible idea to try knitting some of the Sock Hop yarn to see how it knits up so here is my latest commuting project in Midnight Hour. As it has an uneven texture I thought a simple textured stitch pattern would enhance it so I chose the waffle stitch I am using in Knitty's Thermal which has had the desired effect I think. It makes a gorgeous, cushy thick sock.

I am a very happy girl.

8 comments:

Margaret said...

I love that yarn! Should be enough for some wristies to match your socks! Isn't plying cool?

Ronni said...

Beautiful yarn and beautiful socks! I'm looking forward to seeing your "hand knit from your hand spun" socks. I'm sure they will be gorgeous also.

Missmalice said...

Your post always elicits ooohs and ahhhhs from me! Gorgeous gorgeous!

Wye Sue said...

I think you have got the hang of spinning ;-)
No wonder you are a very happy girl..

Diana said...

And rightly so .... you should be very proud! I appreciate your encouragement on my blog as well. I hope to produce a skein as nice as yours. I'll soon have some color to spin. That is exciting!

maniacalmultitasker said...

OMG! Jane, that's BEAUTIFUL!
I attempted spinning more than a year ago but abandoned it. You've given me inspiration!

Nickerjac said...

It looks fantastic :)

Maggie said...

Wow, that's lovely yarn. Just got some drop spindles this morning, so hopefully will be able to have some fun with those soon - used today's energy tidying the garden a bit.

Guess you are really hooked on spinning now!