Sunday, 6 May 2007

This is part two of the saga of my hand spun. I decided that there was no point in letting it sit there and that perhaps there was enough of it to be useful. I remembered that the next step was to wash it in really hot water then hang it up with a weight on to set the twist. My hand spun spent the night on a hook with a bottle of leave in conditioner hanging from it - a girl has to improvise after all! It became a lot softer, although being a Jacob/ Texel cross it was never going to be suitable for baby clothes! The lighter colours were also much more pronounced. I decided that there might be at least sufficient for an embellishment so I have made this hat...

I used one of Anne Budd's hat recipes from the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns and a ball of undyed Blue Faced Leicester for the body of the hat. BFL is so beautifully lustrous and silky and this shade matched perfectly with the pale highlights in the hand spun. I picked up every other stitch on the brim and knitted on the hand spun border in garter stitch. I will be the first to admit that there are some lumpy, over spun sections but I am pleased with the overall effect. The most exciting thing for me is that last week it was an unprocessed fleece and now its a piece of wearable clothing.

In fact I found the whole experience so magical that there might just be a wheel making its way to my house...

9 comments:

Amie said...

It looks tremendous! Wonderful job!

littlelixie said...

Beautiful! Wish I had done something so wearable with mine.

Wye Sue said...

Way to go !!!!

So impressed, Isabella will be pleased that another Skipnorther has a wheel ;-)

Rita said...

Hi, good use of your yarn. I've just read that you've been to the Handweavers' studio - lovely isn't it! I took a two weekend weaving course there, I've yet to use the skills I learnt there but you seem to be making good use of yours. It took me years to make something with my first hand spun lol.

Lucy said...

Wow that's fantastic Jane - I love it - Congratulations!

Missmalice said...

Oh what a good idea! I still have to figure out what to do with mine...

natalie said...

Go on.... get a wheel, join a new group of addicts.
Have you seen
http://theweekendwhirls.blogspot.com
?
It's a spinalong, spindles and wheels are welcome. I have both but I'm spindling at the moment on a Turkish spindle.

Missmalice said...

Jane - could you email me? I have a question! missmaliceknits[at]gmail[dot]com thanks!

Iris G said...

The design of the hat really shows off the two yarns, great job ;-).