Monday, 14 May 2007


Thermal from Knitty is moving on slowly but surely. I accept that its going to be a long knit but if I do a little every day it will get there. I have checked the tension and its fine but because its so stretchy it looks alarmingly small. It does feel beautiful though. I am using Austermann Barkarole, a rather luxurious blend of merino, silk and cashmere, sadly discontinued a few years ago but not before I managed to snaffle a few balls at a fraction of the usual price! I have always preferred knitting with fine rather than bulky yarns which is why I have to have my fair share of instant gratification projects. Cue the socks....



I always like to have an absolutely plain and mindless pair of socks on the go, even if the colour of these is far from plain. I have made so many pairs that I have memorised the pattern which makes it an utterly stress free knit for he journey to and from work. These are man sized socks in Trekking XXL for my friend L in Australia. I know few people in the world less troubled by vanity than L so it is a source of much pleasure and amusement that he loves my hand knit socks, the more brightly coloured the better and needs little encouragement to whip off his shoes and show off the socks. I always keep a practical supply of machine washable self striping yarn on hand with him in mind.


And finally, we have a small amount of rather thick but reasonably consistent Shetland singles. It was a bit of a trial getting the brake tension correct -it either sat there spinning away with the yarn hanging out of the orifice like a dog's tongue or disappeared like a frightened snake. I discovered that it only takes a small adjustment to make a significant difference. Better get off and practice a bit more!

4 comments:

Adrienne " A little dramatic at times" said...

Love those socks!!! BEautiful!

Wye Sue said...

Impressive spinning...

It's no good I'm going to have to cast on a thermal soon...

Iris G said...

The Shetland single ply looks so adorable ;-)

Maggie said...

Your yarn looks lovely and soft. Bet you'll be knitting your own yarn soon. :-)