Thursday, 31 May 2007

Perspiration and inspiration


Well, the new hand spun has been plied, skeined, washed and set. Here are the two new skeins alongside last week's to show that as hoped, there has been an improvement in the spinning technique. A detail shot of the newest skein is included below. There is a part of me that loves the rustic quality of the first skein with all its lumps and bumps but the second two show a lot more control. While I was spinning it I was convinced that I couldn't possibly spin any finer but now it's plied I have only moved from heavy aran to mostly double knit. I'm going to have to challenge myself further. What I need is inspiration....


And lo and behold, inspiration arrived on the doorstep this very morning. I have been on a waiting list for the legendary Crown Mountain Farms hand spun Sock Hop yarn for the best part of six months. A couple of weeks ago they announced to us patient waiters that their spinners had been spinning away for months and the fruits of their labours would be going onto their website on Saturday at 5 pm precisely. It's a good job I was home for the launch as within two hours the yarn was gone. All those months and months of spinning and it was disappearing the moment it was put up. And here it all is... from left to right, Midnight Hour, I Got You Babe and Heatwave. I am completely in awe of it - one day I will be able to create yarn like this!


Close up of I got you Babe

4 comments:

Artis-Anne said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog and you will soon be able to spin . I never thought I would but now I find I have to concentrate to spin aran weight LOL.I too am still pestering spinners with quetions, always something new to learn:)
Yes its the CAT near Machynlleth I am going to, small world indeed. I worked in Aber for a while many moons ago

Artis-Anne said...

Oops that didn't come out right !!Sorry I meant spin fine yarn!! You can spin already :)

natalie said...

What a difference a week makes!
I still have my first bit of spindle spun yarn, I can't bring myself to knit it into anything, it's only a few metres done on a spindle but I am still ridiculously proud of it.

Iris G said...

I'm always fascinated by hand-spun yarns, and yours are so lovely. They remind me of cappuccino.