Tuesday, 1 May 2007
As you can see I am loving my Rockin Sock Club socks. This is the progress I have made since Saturday which is probably more to do with my failure to get to bed at a reasonable time than any efficiency of the knitting variety. It would be nice to get them done reasonably quickly as I am on borrowed time because my April yarn hasn't appeared yet. I may pop down to the post office on my way to work tomorrow morning and menace them into conducting a fingertip search of their premises.
One of the good things about coming late to the game as far as the current sock is concerned is that I can take advantage of all the tips and tricks learnt the hard way by other knitters. I have certainly done a lot of needle changes. The toe was started on 2.25 mm needles, changing to 2mm to keep the foot ribbing snug, back to 2.25mm for the heel flap then up to 2.5 mm for the cuff as the corking great 11 stitch cable rather tightens things up. I have tried them on regularly to make sure that they fit and so far so good. I'm now deliberating over what sort of cast off will match the stretch best.
One of the things I have been reflecting on as I read about all the adjustments that people have been making to their knitting to accommodate the pattern is that as I start on writing up my sock designs, any pattern I write needs to be clear enough to help people avoid these sorts of pitfalls. I would be disappointed if I was the cause of too much ripping and swearing!
Just to prove to myself and others that I am a) not entirely devoted to sock knitting and b) capable of making progress on things that I start, here are almost two sleeves for my Orange Rose T shirt. The body is complete. There is so little left to do that there is every reason for me to plan on wearing it next week. There. I said it. In public.