Sunday, 13 May 2007

All is chaos and excitement here at Yarn Archive HQ - the wheel has arrived! How lovely it looked - all contained in its box. Can't wait to start spinning. However, this craft is also an education in patience. I chose to buy an unwaxed/finished one as I wanted to do it myself, partly based on economy, partly on wanting to select the finish myself and partly as I thought it would help me get an understanding of the pieces prior to putting it all together. I braved the crowds of hairy forearmed Do-It-Yourselfers in B & Q and came away with a simple paint on wax for beech ( for that is what my wheel is made from).

In a matter of minutes the contents of the box had become this:


The helpful assistant advised that it would be much easier to apply the wax with a rag rather than a brush so yes, that is elderly underwear put to a better use in the corner of the photo...


Speaking of helpful assistants, of course, no delicate, messy operation is complete without the close supervision of one of my neighbour's cats. Against all odds, and to the accompaniment of the Eurovision Song Contest (Oh come on - it's so bad it's good!) I worked my way gently through the pieces. Here are the bobbins...

...and the flyer...
I am really glad I chose to do the finishing myself as it was lovely to get to know each piece and watch the patterning and graining appear as I went along. The pieces are now dry and buffed and I'm starting to assemble it. I'm taking it slowly but so far so good.

More later...


1 comment:

Nickerjac said...

How exciting!!!!!