Saturday, 14 April 2007
This is my latest effort at sock design. What I was hoping for was a gentle fading of the handpaint into the solid by varying the proportions in the slip stitches. it hasn't turned out exactly as I had hoped - I think it would be better if I used a slightly more contrasting solid as the transition gets a little lost towards the end. However, I did enjoy experimenting with a different heel and toe. Referring to Nancy Bush's Vintage Socks I used an adapted Dutch heel where instead of a stocking stitch heel flap I used a reinforced Sl1K1 for the right side row to increase the life of the sock and give a better fit around the heel. The toe is a spiral toe from the same book.