Saturday, 14 April 2007




This is my latest effort at sock design. What I was hoping for was a gentle fading of the handpaint into the solid by varying the proportions in the slip stitches. it hasn't turned out exactly as I had hoped - I think it would be better if I used a slightly more contrasting solid as the transition gets a little lost towards the end. However, I did enjoy experimenting with a different heel and toe. Referring to Nancy Bush's Vintage Socks I used an adapted Dutch heel where instead of a stocking stitch heel flap I used a reinforced Sl1K1 for the right side row to increase the life of the sock and give a better fit around the heel. The toe is a spiral toe from the same book.

3 comments:

littlelixie said...

That is so cool about the egg cosies! I've sen some funky designs on various blogs but the self-patterning type are pretty damn cunning. I thought those might be cupcake cutouts on your sock blockers but am now thinking they are acorns. Are they from the US ebay seller?

Probably Jane said...

Thanks Alex! They still use the tea cosy I made them too - and it's got enough tea stains for me to be sure they don't just get it out for my benefit!

The acorn sock blockers are from Chappy on E-Bay - she does loads of designs and I am sure would do cupcakes if you asked!

Adrienne " A little dramatic at times" said...

They look great!!!!