Wednesday, 11 April 2007


I am aware that I was determined not to start another shawl project until the Melon Shawl is complete but it is no longer a portable project giving the amount of swishing around of 6 feet of mohair adding a knitted on edging appears to entail. This may well be due to poor technique on my part but contributed to my need to have a reasonably portable non sock project to hand at the weekend. I decided to tackle the Luna Moth shawl pattern which is free on the Elann website using my good old favourite Rowanspun DK, this time in a subtle turquoise with yellow and green flecks. I have to admit that it has taken me a while to get into the swing of the pattern but I have developed a level of rhythm whereby now I don't have to have the pattern permanently stapled to my knee. As is often the case with lace, it currently resembles a rather unprepossessing bundle of stitches but I am really looking forward to the first time that I immerse it in water. I love the way the damp wool smells as I pin it out and see the pattern emerge properly for the first time - makes it all worthwhile!

PS I know I wasn't going to go on about it but I have now managed to produce 12 inches of the Melon Shawl edging - only another 11 feet to go....

3 comments:

ra said...

hi Jane, thanks for your comment on my blog re Cherry Tree Hill. Interesting that Ecover (liquid) doesn't list bleach as one of it's ingredients. Still at least you got a response; I emailed and have had no reply as yet.
Boo Hiss!

Iris G said...

Hey Jane, glad to see you here! Luna moth shawl is so attractive isn't it? And my first pair of mittens were made out of Rowanspun DK, I totally see what you mean-- a bath transforms the yarn!

Kena said...

Stopping by from KR...

I love your little sheep in the corner!!!