Tuesday, 27 March 2007

A thing of beauty... isn't always immediately obvious. Today introduces another current Work in Progress, a wrap cardigan in Rowanspun DK using a Knitting Pure and Simple top down pattern. I think my knitting life transformed when I discovered patterns knit from the top down. Notwithstanding my abhorance of sewing up - the fact that I am capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with sub standard finishing is not solely responsible for my enthusiasm. There is something very satisfying about allowing the whole garment to grow organically from one piece of fabric. Envisaging fit, even trying the garment mid construction are so much more possible.

I took the photograph with the idea of writing about how this work doesn't really look particularly attractive at the moment but on studying the photograph I am rather captured by the subtle shadings of grey. The pattern calls for the yarn to be knit at a slightly looser tension to that recommended on the ball band. It's a shame that I am unable to communicate the tactile pleasure of the fluid, slightly felted quality of the fabric. This is on many levels an unchallenging knit, but it is a perfect piece of work for all those times in a girl's life when she wants to be doing a couple of other things at the same time.

I am also very keen to wear it - spring is beginning to make its presence felt and this cardigan will be perfect for bridging the seasons. Whilst this project is the very essence of simplicity, the challenge here is to produce an even, rhythmic stocking stitch and achieve the best, most flattering fit. Part of the joy of knitting for me is the functionality of it - if I achieve my goal this garment will repay the time and patience devoted to it.

Beauty doesn't always have to shout and tie itself in fancy knots to get noticed.

4 comments:

kathryn said...

I love the colour of the yarn you've chosen for this wrap. I've never knitted anything "top-down" and that looks a lovely and useful first project.

Where did you find the pattern? The only place I can find it is Get Knitted and typically they are out of stock

Jeanne said...

I like the yarn - what kind is it? I haven't done top down either but I do like not sewing up!

Probably Jane said...

Hi Kathryn and Jeanne

I bought the pattern at Stash in Putney and I know that Loop in Islington also stock them. Failing that I have, in the past ordered them from Elann in Canada who are one of my favourite online sellers. I don't know anyone else in the UK that sells them.

The yarn is Rowanspun DK in Thorn. It is a 100% wool yarn that is sort of tweedy and slightly felty. Unfortunately it has been discontinued but fortunately Cucumberpatch.co.uk still sell it at a cracking discount! It can also be stalked on EBay....

kathryn said...

Thank you for the info - My daughter lives in Teddington which isn't that far from Putney. The Rowanspun is lovely.