Saturday, 24 March 2007

I've never been much of a joiner. I think it was Groucho Marx who observed that he didn't want to belong to a club that would have him as a member. However, in the interests of leaving my knitting comfort zone I joined the Yarn Yard sock club. Every month I am sent a skein of yarn expertly handpainted by Natalie and a small contrast skein. My first yarns, in January were definitely outside my comfort zone. I tried the prescribed use of the yarn, producing a big pink sock complete with its solid extremities. I hated it. It shouted at me. I could not face knitting it a mate.

Remembering that the inspiration for the yarn was the embers in a wood stove I had a bit of a think and ordered a skein of charcoal yarn and set about creating a sock which worked with this idea. With the use of a simple slip stitch pattern the flickering embers socks were born. What fascinates me is how a colour that jarred in its full on state should whisper so seductively when viewed through a neutral frame. I love the subtle colour shifts as they move from window to window across the fabric. I have now been inspired to experiment further with colour combinations and am fascinated by slip stitches and the variety of textures and effects that can be achieved. More later......

No comments: