Saturday, 24 March 2007

EBay is a fascinating place. I never cease to be amazed by the treasures that can be unearthed by the enquiring mind and the surprises that it occasionally throws up.

A sock is a labour of love - which to be used properly is expected to submit to the daily rigours of an active life. I recently bid for a mixed lot of darning wools which I thought would be useful in sustaining the life of my socks. Hidden amongst the robust and sensible skeins of soberly coloured darning wool I found this little object - the finest cotton imaginable in a subtle range of stocking colours to be used for repair. It is good to be reminded occasionally that the everyday objects that we so readily throw away were, not so long ago prized and coaxed into longevity by patient needlework skills.

I hereby resolve to diligently darn my socks!

No comments: