Monday, 26 March 2007


The casual observer of this embryonic blog might be forgiven for imagining that my knitting journey is proceding entirely on foot judging by the over representation of sockage on these pages. Today I will attempt to redress that balance with a current work in progress, the Melon Shawl from Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby. For a utilitarian like me the book errs a little towards the coffee table in its artistic presentation but we are talking about lace after all, lace which should be light and playful and just a little insubstantial and self indulgent. I have to accept that this is a new departure for me - the pattern calls for Kid Silk Haze and whilst the colour, a vivid lime green is well within my familiar palette, yarn so fine and frou frou is not.

But after all, this is a journey and I need to be stepping outside my comfort zone. The melon shawl seemed a perfect vehicle for this trip into the unknown - simple, not too large and offering a few new challenges - knitting with what feels to me like frog breath, patterning on both the knit and purl side and a Shetland style picked up border. Enough to keep me interested I think. There are those, I am sure who will reach and reach for ever more complicated feats of knitting virtuosity - I don't think I am or wish to become one of those knitters. My aspirations concern the challenge of a new skill learned well and the accomplished execution of a project whose beauty lies most in its simplicity and choice of materials.

Having said that, I am enjoying the first stage of this project - the fineness of the yarn took a certain amount of getting used to - I feel as if all my movements need to be slightly exaggerated to complete each stitch. I also learned that choice of needle is important - if I didn't have an alternative to the Addi Turbo this project would be in permanent residence at the bottom of my knitting basket - Denise Interchangeables aren't just for long haul flights!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Looks good so far - I bought the yarn (Kidsilk Haze in magenta) to make the same shawl....looking forward to seeing how you do on it!

Anni said...

the shawl is looking wonderful. Beatuiful colour. And you're so brave to tackle KidSilk Haze. I've got some in my stash but still scared of it.LOL.